As our ethnographic study showed that current teaching approaches leave very little room for students to be active creators, our next step was to make some “experiments” to change this practice.
In March we carried out our first intervention study with a purpose to intervene into current teaching and learning practices in a way that enables learners to become actively engaged constructors of their own experience and knowledge, which means learners take partial control and responsibility over instructional components; learners as active participants and as creators.
Our intervention was built around the following potential scenarios:
- Flipped classroom (textbook used at home to acquire a new topic)
- Inquiry-based learning (textbook used as a handbook in the inquiry process)
- Project-based learning (textbook as one possible information source)
- Problem-solving activity (textbook as a source of problems and information)
- Game-based learning (creating a game scenario) (textbook as a source of inspiration)
Every participating teacher could select one of the scenarios and build his/her lesson accordingly. It must be noted here that this is not an ultimate list of scenarios, which allow more control and creativity for students. This is a selection of scenarios we want to concentrate on at this point of time and also test them out in the context of our redefined “e-textbook”. As the term e-textbook carries a certain, strongly rooted understanding, we have started to call our vision of future e-textbooks as Learnmix.
But coming back to our intervention study, we managed to visit and observe 12 lessons in the following schools:
- Tallinn English College
- Tallinn Secondary Science School
- Gustav Adolf Gymnasium
- Tartu Private School
- Central Russian Gymnasium
- Tallinn European School
For our data collection we used LessonNote app for making notes and video recorded all the lessons. Currently we are in the process of analysing the collected data and comparing it with our ethnographic study.
Thanks to all the teachers and students who agreed to take part in our intervention!